Tuesday, February 14, 2012

What in the World is Going On? An Eli Update

Well, obviously I haven't posted anything on my blog in quite some time. Hubby came home and priority #1 was spending time as a fam. Now he's gone again, but having a 2 yr old is much different than having a 14 month old by myself. He's NONSTOP, this child! And I love it :) He bounces from one thing to the next and until I turn out the light for nap or bedtime he doesn't stop! So hubby and the mom have both been repeatedly suggesting to me that I keep a record of all the adorable, funny and/or mischevious things Eli is up to, because of course, we won't probably remember this time next year. I should have been doing this from the get go, but as Samantha Jones would say, "Shoulda, Woulda, Coulda."

There are so many things Eli does that crack me up on a daily basis, I know there's no way to remember them all. But one of the funniest things about our sweet boy is his personality and character. He is so animated, and I get such a kick out of just watching the faces he makes. Some of what I will say may not sound that funny, but if you could only see his little face when he said it, it would be priceless.

There are several phrases that he is currently saying that are too cute. For example:

Anytime we enter a room where the lights are off Eli says, "It's dahhk in here."

If he accomplishes something noteworthy he wants to share with me, like sticking a wad of Play-Doh on his nose, he will come up to me and proclaim, "Tah-Dah!" while throwing both hands in the air and putting one foot up and resting it on his opposite knee. Sort of like a gymnast/acrobat pose.

Since taking a recent tumble down some stairs, he's been more cautious of them. And we've also cautioned him about the dangers of cars in parking lots and the importance of holding our hands so Eli won't get hurt. If he sees anything like stairs, cars or knives that could be a potential danger, he will make it known to me that it will "hurt Eye-lie". I love hearing him say his own name! Which if you ask him his name he will say "Eye-lie Mith".

He also has been really into saying his Grandpa Bruce's name lately, which warms my heart. Sometimes if I say something like, "Guess who we're going to see?" He'll say "Pa Bruce?"

We've also been doing prayers before meals for a while now, and recently when we get to the part where we say what we are thankful for, he's started chiming in. Some of his favorites to list are Momma, Daddy, GiGi, Pa, food, eat, apple juice, fork, Champ and Callie, Jesus.

Since we adopted Champ, our rescue Rhodesian, Eli has just adored him. He has not adored the fact that Champ has chewed several of his toys and stuffed animals. He has witnessed me scold Champ when this happens. Now if we come upon a toy or stuffed animal that has been maimed by Champ, Eli will immediately exclaim, "Bad dog!" And if he's really upset, it's "Bad, bad dog!"

Of course he is all boy, so Eli takes tumbles on a regular basis. Nothing makes it feel any better than the magic power of Momma's kisses. He'll come up to me all teary, point to the body part in question, and mutter "kiss it." And on the rare occasion that one kiss doesn't suffice he will repeat, "Kiss it somemore" (like it's all one word).

What Eli's doing:

Of course, his attention span isn't the longest, but there are several things that keep him intrigued for a good amount of time. Such as...

Chase! He wants me to chase him all the time. He'll get down into a football hike position and say "Ready, Set, GO!" while I chase after him. This can go on for an hour or more, or until I am tired of playing, whichever comes first. (It's usually the latter.)

XBOX Kinect. We are currently having an extended visit with GiGi and Pa, and since Pa works for Microsoft they have a Kinect with all sorts of games. It is amazing to watch this kid work the XBox! It has a voice recognition feature, so Eli will say, "XBox, Pway!" "XBox Football!" "XBox, Dance!" GiGi and Pa both have Microsoft Live avatars that appear when they are signed in and playing. Eli now recognizes those and just last week pointed to GiGi's character and said, "GiGi's abatar"

He of course still loves food, esp treats and sweets that he doesn't get on a regular basis. He often asks for a "cook cook" or for "ice creams!"

My mom has a giant dry erase board that she uses for her eye therapy, and that has turned into one of the most fun things to do with Eli. We will sit and draw on the board for a long time, and he loves it. I'll ask him what he wants me to draw and almost every time his first answer is "cat". I think because the first time we ever did it I drew a cat. Then he will help me draw things as well. I'll draw houses and people and we'll name them all. I'll draw people doing things, like fishing or picking apples from a tree. We'll name the people and talk about what they're doing. Later in the day and even the following day if the pictures are still on the board he will tell me who the people are and what they are doing. He also likes telling me to "wipe it" when it gets to full or dirty.

Feeding the dogs. Obviously this chore doesn't take very long, but man, does he get excited about it. "I FEED CHAMP!!! I FEED CALLIE!!" If I'm ever trying to distract him from something else, asking him to feed the dogs is usually a winner.

Some of the obvious ones are the usual boy things. Dinosaurs, wrestling, boxing (he calls it "jab"), cars, trucks, tractors, planes, motorcycles, anything with a motor and wheels. He likes to play the race games on the XBox and yell "Crash" when we crash. It should also be noted that when he says his Ss and Xs his tongue darts between his teeth so his has a cute little lisp that makes things like "dinosaur!" sound even cuter.

Alright, this is by no means exhaustive, but it's the best I could do at 10:30 at night after realizing that I have to throw out an entire fritatta I made because the mushrooms I used were either bad or I just don't like them, I can't tell which. What a waste of a dozen eggs and a whole bunch of swiss chard. Dang it. Oh well. At least I didn't throw some pastured meat in there. That's when it gets pricey! I hope to do more of this sort of update on a regular basis...maybe along with some other goodies thrown in. Still mostly about nutrition and exercise. Sorry for the lack of photos, but hey, that's what FaceBook is for, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment