Tuesday, February 22, 2011

The Thing About Facebook

Some of you who used to be my "friends" on Facebook may have seen the note I posted about why I get annoyed with Facebook, right before I deactivated my account. Well, I won't go into that list here, because it's stuff that most of you already know. What I will tell you about is my failed attempt to re-enter the world of Facebook.

The CrossFit gym I joined here in Franklin communicates most of their updates about gym hours, meet-up locations for certain workouts, etc on Facebook. I thought it might be worth it to get back on so I could be in the know with my new gym peeps. So, I logged back on to my account. "Welcome back! We've missed you!" Yeah right. So the first thing I did was went through and slashed my "friends" list from 200-something down to 70-something. If I was going to get back on there, I really only wanted those who I truly wanted to stay in touch with be able to see what was going on with me and vice versa. Because let's be honest, what percentage of your Facebook friends do you regularly communicate with?

Ok, so on to the meat of the matter. After my "friend" slashing, I clicked on the home to see the recent updates. My sister, who has one of the biggest hearts I know, had posted something similar to the following statement. "I wish I could adopt every dog without a home and every baby without a family. It breaks my heart to see those that are so helpless." (sorry, Lauren, I know that's not verbatim, but it's the gist.) One of her "friends" commented on her status, and insinuated that she could support the baby thing, but not the dog thing. And it didn't help matters that I knew this particular "friend" had already made her negative comments and opinions known to my sister on a separate occasion in regards to her considering rescuing another dog. Like it's not enough that she would give her unsolicited opinion and advice about what SHE thinks is best for my sister and her husband. She also made the passive aggressive Facebook post. If you know me very well, you know that I can get mad at my sister or say mean things to her, but if someone else does, I get pretty heated.

So, I know I'm probably making a bigger deal out of this than any of you would, but FOR CRYING OUT LOUD. This is why I cannot stand Facebook. Really it's not the over-posters, the TMI posters, or the religious/political posters that really get me. Mostly because you can hide these people if you don't want to see what they have to say. And if I don't agree with what they post, so what? I just don't comment. Folks are entitled to their own opinions, and I don't expect everyone's to mirror mine. It's when people comment on things offering their unsolicited advice, their unwelcome opinions, and do it in a passive aggressive manner. And it's so hard to convey tone via Facebook, so people get all riled up (like yours truly when I read that post to my sister). And I just don't understand why people can't be courteous. If someone wants to rescue 6 dogs, maybe that's their calling! Why do you care? Is it not okay with you simply because they choose not to have 6 kids? Not everyone does things the same way, and that's okay. It would be really boring if we were all the same. Stop trying to force people to fit into the pigeon hole that is YOUR LIFE. Or at least stop making negative comments just because you don't necessarily agree or would not do the same thing. Love one another. That is the second greatest command. So just do it. "Be kind and compassionate to one another..." Eph 4:32

And if you don't agree with me, keep your opinion to yourself! LOL!!! Just kidding for those that couldn't interpret my tone. But seriously, I didn't post this to start an argument, just to vent. So please take it as such.

2 comments:

  1. I hate that too!!! I have a love/hate relationship with facebook right now. i'm constantly wanting to get off but i just cant!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I miss keeping up with you on facebook, but totally understand why you made the choice to leave. I couldn't have agreed more on your last "why I get annoyed with facebook post." I'm sure I don't realize how I come across sometimes, but I think some people honestly don't think about it. I mean, how could they with some of the stuff you see?

    ReplyDelete