Wednesday, January 5, 2011

The Holidays

WOW...so much packed in to such a short amount of time. So, here is the rundown of our holidays!

Rusty, Eli, the dogs and I headed up to my mom's a few days before Christmas to get settled in. I've learned to try to get there a day or two before I actually want to do anything because Eli usually has a "introductory" rough period. This time was no exception. First night there he woke at around 12:30...and I was up all night with him. Yes, all night. First time ever for an all-nighter. I started getting nervous because Rusty and I were supposed to be leaving him with Mom and Rob while we went on our trip to NV, but I couldn't bear to leave him if this was still going on after a few days. But, true to form, he was fine by the next night. Whew!

Christmas Eve arrived and we had a nice dinner that Mom prepared. My sister and her husband came over for dinner as well as my Granddad, my uncle and my cousin along with her husband and son. I thoroughly enjoyed this time with our family, but please let me tell you. I know know where they get ideas for movies like National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation. Our evening was complete with bad toupees, inappropriate breast comments and uncomfortable remarks about my sister's procreation plans. It was hysterical!

We opened a few gifts, with Eli of course getting the majority of them. He got two riding toys which he was pretty stoked about. His dad got him a John Deere ATV, which Rusty had been excited to get for him since last Christmas!


Eli and his Great-Granddad
Eli and his new John Deere
Eli loves his GiGi
And his Grandpa!

Christmas Day Rusty, Eli and I drove to Jackson, TN to spend time with my dad's family as well as some dear family friends, the Hayes'. It was so nice to be with the Woodruff family. Every single aunt, cousin, etc was all packed into my Grandma's tiny house. Normally we would've been at someone's house with more room, but my Grandma is now at home in hospice care and is on oxygen, so it was easier on her for everyone to meet there. Many of my family members there I hadn't seen since my dad's funeral. Some longer than that. Seems weird that none of us ever stayed in touch, but I was amazed at how it hadn't felt like it had been 10 years since I'd spoken to many of them. I felt right at home and loved, and of course everyone loved Elijah. We stayed the night at our friends the Hayes' who have been so great to me over the last 10 years. Brian was one of my dad's closest friends, and he stepped in where my dad's family didn't. He has checked up on me over the years, told me stories about my dad I never knew, and loved me and my family like we were part of his own. Before we left J-town the next morning, I drove Rusty by the first home our dad built for us in Jackson. I loved that place!

 Eli with his Great-Grandma Woodruff
The first home my dad built for us in Jackson!

On the 28th, Rusty and I took off for Reno, NV for a few days. Rusty was in a wedding of one of his buddies from the Army, Kyle. I was so looking forward to our time away together! But a little apprehensive about how Eli would do since I was still nursing. Well, he did great! Slept better for mom and Rob than he does for me! This of course made our time away even more enjoyable since I wasn't fretting about how he was doing. I can't even begin to describe how much this trip alone as a couple was needed and enjoyed! I felt like I was in my 20s again! hahaha...and it was so amazing to fly unencumbered! I had forgotten what it was like, esp since I have made 5 or 6 roundtrip flights with Eli already. I flew with nothing but my purse on board and it was AWESOME! No boppy, no diaper bag, no stroller, no carseat, nada. I got to sleep on the plane. Golden.

The wedding was lovely, and it was our first time meeting Kyle's fiancĂ©e, Leslie. This girl was awesome, and I immediately fell in love with her family! They made me feel so welcome, and made the time even more enjoyable. Of course it was great for Rusty and Kyle to spend some time together. They were in as privates together and went through Ranger school as well as several other Army schools together, so they have seen each other through some tough times. Kyle got out 8 years ago, but he and Rusty have always stayed in touch, and Kyle honored us by being in our wedding almost 8 years ago.

Kyle & Rusty

We flew home New Year's Eve and Eli was having such a great time with GiGi and Grandpa that it took him a bit to warm back up to us. I actually know how Rusty feels now when he comes home and Eli takes some time to warm up to him. It kinda pulls on the heart strings!

We drove back to GA the day after New Years. It's nice to be home in our own space, but I miss being near family. So thankful they are not too far of a drive away. I hope 2011 has lots of great stuff in store for us and for you! Can't wait to see what this new year will bring!

2 comments:

  1. I love you girl!! So glad your trip away with Rusty went well. Cant wait to see you again. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww...love the writings and the pics!! Sooo Sweet!!!

    ReplyDelete